How you can make your mark
Due to the often existing subsea infrastructure or seabed conditions, engineers are forced to design new nearshore pipeline trajectories that are not always in a straight line anymore. Since subsea tie-in operations are often complex and relatively expensive; alternative methods like pulling pipelines into a curve are worthwhile.
Currently, Boskalis aims to get a more thorough understanding of the geotechnical processes that create lateral resistance of the pipeline against the forces applied by the installation vessel is obtained. Besides numerical predictions, Boskalis is executing physical tests at their in-house test facility HydroLab. By means of pulling scaled pipelines in a 24 meter long purpose-built test tank; they aim to verify expectations and create opportunities for the future. Although the obtained tests results are promising and in line with the predictions; there are still some questions left unanswered. Are you the one to join the Research & Development team and execute some more tests with this unique test facility? The complete test set-up is already built, so you can start right away!
Your responsibilities as a graduate within R&D:
- contribute to the expansion of Boskalis’ market share into curved pipe pull projects;
- doing research for this assignment; by using the in-house test facilities, by doing desk research or a combination of the two;
- enhance your practical operation skills, e.g. by pulling a pipeline through a trench, or by means of a heavy pull wire.
You can make your mark as a R&D Graduate if you are:
- currently enrolled in a Applied Sciences (HBO) Bachelor degree program in Civil Engineering;
- like to combine theoretical and practical work;
- master the Dutch and English language in word and written.
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together.
What you can expect
- Money and more: Besides internship compensation you will get a great deal of responsibility and a laptop to use. Armed with your OV Student Product, you can access the Boskalis campus by public transport: the waterbus, regional bus or train. If you use the latter, you can hop on the Boskalis van that goes between station Sliedrecht Baanhoek and the Papendrecht campus in the early morning and late afternoon. Furthermore you can easily share a ride with colleagues via the Boskalis Carpool App.
- Warm welcome: We warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel at home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about Boskalis!
- Career opportunities: Because we work in a dynamic environment we challenge you every day to get better. Together we will realize your full personal and professional career by creating development opportunities.
- The Boskalis campus: Boskalis is located in Papendrecht, where all our disciplines come together on-campus. Bicycles are available on site to make it easy for you to move between buildings. There’s also an electric bus for those times the weather turns wet! Two lunch canteens, a sports field and shower facilities can also be found on our campus.
- Young Boskalis: This is a platform created for and by the Young Boskalis generation. The Young Boskalis Board focus is to represent young employees and look after their integration into the Boskalis family across the various divisions. Every year Young Boskalis organizes various activities, such as a visit to a project or vessel in the Netherlands, but also a Friday Drink on the first day after payday.
- Besides work: There’s never a dull moment at Boskalis! During and after working hours, there’s always a lot going on. Most activities are initiated voluntarily by our colleagues, and they are very diverse. There are sporting activities like hockey, cycling or running (for a charity), and the sailing regatta (Baggerzeilweekend) organized by several large dredging companies. And for the less physical types, there are the Body of Knowledge meetings where you can share and learn about a variety of topics. Perhaps you’d even like to launch an activity yourself?
- Your team: The Research & Development consists of a general manager and two team managers. About 25 people work in this team: mostly engineers, yet also two employees focusing on innovation within Boskalis. Quite a few of these team members have been working for Boskalis for years and years.
- Where you will work: You will work at the Boskalis Head Office in Papendrecht, in an open office concept.
- Fulltime/ part time job: The function of function is a fulltime (40 hours a week).
- Procedure: Application is easy. All you need to do to apply for a job is complete the online application form and send it to us along with your CV and cover letter. As soon as you have sent your application you will receive an email to confirm receipt. If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your junk folder. It is not possible to apply via email, the contact form or regular mail. Depending on the job we will invite you for two or more interviews. (add specific steps in the procedure if needed). After successfully completing all the steps in the procedure we warmly welcome you to our organization. Now the real work can begin!
Want to know more?
We are more than happy to answer your questions about the function of R&D graduate intern. Please contact Yvette van Leijsen, Campus Recruiter via +31 786968570.
Interested? Please apply by filling in your details and by uploading your cover letter and CV on our careers site. Make sure to apply before the 1st of December 2019.
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies. In general we don’t appreciate acquisition and this also applies to Boskalis colleagues or associated Boskalis companies.