How you can make your mark
As a Naval Architect at SMIT Salvage you fulfill a pivotal role between the office and the projects and the world is your working area. You never know where and when a ship will be in distress and that gives your work as a Naval Architect extra dynamism. This sounds cliché, yet it is reality. Just as well that you have an adventurous profession as a naval architect. When a ship is in distress, you go with a team consisting of, among other things, a Salvage Master, Salvage Superintendent to the place of disaster. Everything is important to salvage the ship as quickly and well as possible and your expertise is of great importance. As a Naval Architect you provide preparatory and executive shipbuilding support in the realization of both salvage operations and wreck removal projects, such as the wreck removal of the Baltic Ace. Depending on the job, you work from our office in Papendrecht or at a location somewhere in the world. In order to properly fulfill the role of Naval Architect, it is important that you have a hands-on attitude. Based on the salvage plan that is initiated on location, you perform technical calculations with regard to the feasibility and realization of a ship's salvage. You also devise and design (technical) solutions for specific project-related problems, such as repairing damage, towing connections, lifting and pulling plans.
From your expertise you are also responsible for the following tasks:
- Supervising and assessing the construction work of subcontractors.
- Developing and improving calculation methods for salvage and wreck removal projects.
- Contribute to the further development of new salvage equipment or the improvement of existing salvage equipment.
As you would expect from a leading international maritime service provider, you work with us with state-of-the-art equipment. You are responsible for planning your own work, so that the desired results, such as calculations and / or a design, are available in time. You report to the Operations Manager.
To be successful in the role of Naval Architect at SMIT Salvage, a flexible attitude is required; after all, you never know where and when a job will play. Working together in changing teams is no problem for you and you have an excellent command of the English language. You know how to approach and of course you have no problem with irregular working hours and you do not find it a problem to work abroad for a longer period of time. You also have:
- A shipbuilding HBO training successfully completed.
- Demonstrable experience in shipbuilding / constructional field.
- Experience with various software programs, such as GHS, AutoCAD, Rhino and Hecsalv.
- A practical attitude.
What you can expect
- A dynamic environment: A job where you can make an impact, as part of a diverse, international team of experts.
- Rewarding conditions: Besides a competitive salary, you will receive holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 31 days (based on a full-time contract), a non-contributory pension scheme, collective schemes such as collective health insurance and travel allowance.
- Career development: Plenty of opportunities to realize your full potential. Challenge yourself with (online) courses in our Boskalis academy.
- The Boskalis campus: Experience the unique Boskalis vibe at our Papendrecht site, complete with restaurants, sports fields, and a wharf where our vessels dock. We offer a state-of-the-art auditorium, brainstorming rooms, experience center for client meetings, and a barista corner where you can connect with colleagues.
- Young Boskalis: Are you under 36? Come and join Young Boskalis! Have fun and join in social and sports activities ranging from pub quizzes to yoga, bootcamps and an annual sailing boat race. Networking and knowledge sharing are a vital part of Young Boskalis as well.
- Your team: As a naval architect you will work for SMIT Salvage. You will work for one of the largest salvage companies in the world. You are part of a team of 4 Naval Architects. You will also work with various other colleagues who are part of the Salvage team.
- Where you will work: You will work at our head office in Papendrecht and at project locations worldwide.
- Full-time: Naval Architect's position is full-time (40 hours per week).
- Next steps: Apply easily by completing the online application form. Interviews are held online or in the office. Once it’s clear we’re a good match, we’ll make you an offer – and look forward to welcoming you to the company.
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, an increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture, you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together!
SMIT Salvage's track record is extensive and many leading insurers are customers. SMIT Salvage has specialized equipment and expert personnel and is able to respond to incidents worldwide 24/7. This is done from four locations strategically located to the major international shipping routes: Rotterdam, Houston, Cape Town and Singapore. The offices provide a 24-hour link to customers, ships, Boskalis Group offices and agents around the world. The system guarantees an immediate response and fast service. In addition, SMIT Salvage can rely on an extensive worldwide network of cooperation agreements with partners and suppliers.
Want to know more?
We are more than happy to answer your questions about the position of Naval Architect. Please contact Robert Smits, Senior Corporate Recruiter via +31 78 6968398.
Interested? Apply by filling in your details and uploading your CV and motivation on our careers site.
Disclaimer for recruitment and selection agencies
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies.