How you can make your mark
As a salvage master you can make your mark managing emergency response salvage projects and wreck removal projects. Regardless of the type of salvage, the goal is to keep the ship and cargo safe at all times.
As a salvage master, you are the operational manager of the salvage team, which includes a salvage supervisor, an salvage engineer and a naval architect. Together with the salvage team, your focus is on preserving the ship, the cargo and protecting the environment. To achieve this, it is important that the situation around a ship quickly becomes stable. This means: keeping the ship afloat or extinguishing a fire, calling in tugs and estimating what needs to be done with the fuel or cargo. Make decisions immediately and act quickly and safely. That's what it's all about, because often there is a lot at stake.
Your responsibilities as a salvage master
- Drawing up an operational project plan in preparation for the project.
- Inventory of the required equipment and personnel.
- Monitoring the project and reporting and evaluation so that all parties involved are at all times aware of the project progress.
- Focus on quality standards and guarantee safety.
- Deploying and assessing our own colleagues and the hired staff.
As a salvage master you are not only operationally responsible, but also commercially. This means that (co-) drawing up a commercial offer is also part of your duties. We also expect you to initiate commercial activities and represent SMIT Salvage before, during and after a project with clients, clients and (sub) contractors.
You are a salvage professional who has already earned your spurs in the profession and you are ready for a new step in your career. You don't want to just take a step. You want a role that does justice to both your operational and commercial knowledge about ship salvage. We don't have to tell you that a flexible attitude is required to be successful in the role of salvage master. After all, you never know where and when a ship will run into problems. In stressful situations you keep a cool head and you always focus on the safety of the people who work for and with us. Beside:
- You have completed a higher vocational education in a nautical-technical direction.
- You have at least 5 years of work experience in the maritime industry, of which 2 years in a similar role as a salvage master.
- Well developed project management skills.
- You have experience with financial reporting and budgeting.
- You have experience with cross-culture working and leadership.
- You have a perfect command of the English language in word and writing.
- Are you willing to travel abroad frequently and on demand.
What you can expect
- Money and more: Besides a competitive salary, you will receive collective health insurance and travel allowance.
- Career opportunities: We challenge you every day to get better. Together we realize your full personal and professional career by creating development opportunities.
- Warm welcome: We warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel at home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs of Smit Salvage!
- Your team: As a salvage master you will work for SMIT Salvage Singapore. You will work for one of the largest salvage companies in the world. You are part of a team of 4 Salvage Masters. You will also work with various other colleagues who are part of the Salvage team.
- Where you will work: You will work at our office in Singapore and at project locations worldwide.
- Full-time: The Salvage Master position is full-time (40 hours per week).
- Procedure: You can easily apply by filling in the online application form and uploading your CV and cover letter. You will always receive an immediate confirmation of receipt by e-mail. It is not possible to apply by email, the contact form or by post. Depending on the position, we invite you for two or more job interviews. If you have successfully completed all steps, you will receive an offer from us and we would like to welcome you to Smit Salvage Singapore!
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, an increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture, you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together!
SMIT Salvage's track record is extensive and has many leading insurers are customers. SMIT Salvage has specialized equipment and expert personnel and is able to respond to incidents worldwide 24/7. This is done from four locations strategically located to the major international shipping routes: Rotterdam, Houston, Cape Town and Singapore. The offices provide a 24-hour link to customers, ships, Boskalis Group offices and agents around the world. The system guarantees an immediate response and fast service. In addition, SMIT Salvage can rely on an extensive worldwide network of cooperation agreements with partners and suppliers.
Interested? Apply by filling in your details and uploading your CV and cover letter on our careers site.
Disclaimer for recruitment and selection agencies
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment- and selection agencies.