How you can make your mark
As a Salvage engineer, the world is your playground. You never know when or where a ship gets into trouble. That is why for a Salvage Engineer literally every day is different. It sounds like a cliché, but it is the reality. As a Salvage Engineer, you will have an adventurous job. When a ship is in distress, you will travel to the emergency scene with a multidisciplinary team. Once on-site, you work together with the team to repair the ship's plant and get the systems up and running again. It is vital to salvage the vessel as quickly as possible. As well as working on actual ship salvage operations.
Your responsibilities as a Salvage Engineer
- As part of the mobile team, provide support to the Salvage Master/Project Manager at site.
- When at base, assisting the technical manager and the operations manager in the selection of new salvage equipment and setting up the right maintenance procedures.
- Maintaining company owned salvage equipment.
- Sharing knowledge with other engineers about complex ship's systems.
- Advising the salvage inspector and superintendent about how to break into existing ship's systems in order to use them during the salvage operation.
- Producing reports about the actions taken to get systems operational again. As you can expect from a leading international maritime service company, you will work with state-of-the-art equipment.
To make your mark as a salvage engineer with SMIT Salvage, you will need a flexible approach; you never know when or where your next project will be. You adapt easily to working with different teams and you are fully proficient in English. Of course, you are happy to work irregular hours and to spend longer periods of time abroad. In addition, you have:
- A minimum degree in any field with experience sailing onboard ships.
- Worked for at least 5 years on modern (merchant) ships.
- Preferably experience with a range of different types of vessels and engine-room plants.
- Willingness to work on weekends and public holidays frequently, with OT and allowances compensated.
- You preferably live in Singapore and / or are allowed and able to work from Singapore.
As a salvage engineer, you will be working for SMIT Salvage, one of the largest salvage companies in the world. SMIT Salvage has an extensive track record and its clients include many leading insurers. SMIT Salvage has specialized equipment and expert staff, and it can respond to incidents throughout the world 24/7. Operations are managed from four strategically located locations with respect to major international shipping routes: Rotterdam, Houston, Cape Town, and Singapore. The offices have a 24-hour link to clients, ships, the other offices of the Boskalis Group and agents worldwide.
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, an increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture, you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together!
What you can expect
- Career opportunities: We challenge you every day to get better. Together we realize your full personal and professional career by creating development opportunities.
- Warm welcome: We warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel at home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs of Smit Salvage!
- Your team: As a Salvage Engineer you will work for SMIT Salvage Singapore. You will work for one of the largest salvage companies in the world. You are part of a team of 6 Salvage Engineers. You will also work with various other colleagues who are part of the Salvage team.
- Where you will work: You will work at our office in Singapore and at project locations worldwide.
- Full-time: The Salvage Engineer position is full-time (40 hours per week).
- Procedure: You can easily apply by filling in the online application form and uploading your CV and cover letter. You will always receive an immediate confirmation of receipt by e-mail. It is not possible to apply by email, the contact form or by post. Depending on the position, we invite you for two or more job interviews. If you have successfully completed all steps, you will receive an offer from us and we would like to welcome you to Smit Salvage Singapore!
Want to know more?
Interested? Apply by filling in your details and uploading your CV and cover letter on our careers site.