- Offshore Energy
How you can make your mark
Are you a CAD Engineer with 1-3 years of experience in the marine / offshore branches? Would you like to work on stunning projects which make a great impact, such as transporting a 300m long FPSO Petrobras 67 on the BOKA Vanguard from South-Korea to Rio de Janeiro? Or you might have recently seen us transporting a 300m Cruise boat Carnival Vista on the same semi-submersible Heavy Transport Vessel. Then it is time to have a chat with us, for the position of CAD Engineer.
As a CAD engineer at Boskalis, you will be part of the Offshore Energy Division and you will focus on heavy lifting and heavy transport projects. Boskalis owns a very versatile fleet with semi-submersible heavy transport vessel, dive support vessels, cable layers and construction support vessels with cranes between 80 tons and 5.000 tons of lifting capacity. These construction support vessels support versatile projects, such as installing the infrastructure in (and around) ports, installing offshore wind parks or the decommissioning / removal of oil & gas platforms or shipwrecks. A well-known example of a project is the salvage of the car carrier Baltic Ace (sunk in 2012). Our activities were focused on the complete removal of the wreck and cargo (over 1400 cars) and 540.000-liter crude oil. A CAD engineer working on such projects is responsible for visualizing the ship and creating the animation/ scenario, in order to salvage such a ship. To realize this you have to remain critical and collaborate intensely with structural, Marine- and Transport engineers.
The projects are typical” one of a kind” and usually internationally orientated. As a CAD engineer at Boskalis, you will probably start the day with your Asian projects and end the day with projects in America. This fact in combination with the uniqueness of projects makes this role extremely versatile and challenging. We stimulate project visits, so you are able to stay connected and updated on projects in the execution phase. This is also a great way to get some feedback from the field and actually see what you visualized.
As far as we can speak of a “typical” week, you will be focusing on:
- Calculating work methods, Vessel,- and offshore constructions and process them in CAD;
- Digitalize designs and/ or survey data, and if necessary convert them into 3D designs;
- Assist and prepare project presentations, by drawing or editing designs/ maps and/ or animations;
- Providing advise (also when not asked) on a safe and successful execution of a project;
- Assist projects in execution phase by providing the team (on location) the newest revised designs (as-built designs) and to process remarks in the project designs;
- Help improve and develop CAD methods and instrument;
- As a CAD Engineer at Boskalis, you will work on groundbreaking projects. In order to do so you at least need the following qualifications:
- A successfully completed degree mechanical or,- marine engineering or Naval Architecture at Secondary vocational (MBO) level;
- 1-3 years of experience as a CAD draftsman or CAD Engineer in Marine/ mechanical engineering or naval architecture sector focusing on the Offshore Energy Industry;
- Extensive knowledge of AutoCAD / Inventor. You can truly say about yourself that you are an AutoCAD / Inventor expert;
- Strong communication skills, both in Dutch and in English;
- You are a natural collaborator and you perform best under pressure;
- Being curious is second nature to you, so you are always well informed about a wide range of topics and can provide solicited and unsolicited advice to (internal) customers;
- And finally: Experience with MicroStation and experience with strength theory and knowledge of shipbuilding are both big plusses!
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies. In general we don’t appreciate acquisition and this also applies to Boskalis colleagues or associated Boskalis companies.