Status of the vacancy
Even if we are already having interviews, your application is still more than welcome.
As a cost engineer, you will be working in the Design Tendering Engineering Department (DTED): the Boskalis management support office. The department is located in Papendrecht and it delivers services to the Dredging & Inland Infra division. You will be working in a team consisting of approximately fifteen cost engineers. Papendrecht will be your workplace but, if you have international aspirations, secondment to projects abroad may be a possibility. As a cost engineer, you report to the tender department manager. And of course, you will also report to the internal client.
Whether they involve the construction and maintenance of ports and waterways, land reclamation, coastal defense or riverbank protection; all projects at Boskalis start with a tender procedure. As a cost engineer, you are at the heart of the business and you play an important role in tendering for projects in the Dredging division. You will often work on large complex multidisciplinary projects but, of course, you will also be involved in projects that focus on dredging, the original core activity at Boskalis. As soon as the tender phase really gets going, you will be a part of all the internal processes because you need input from different departments to draft a sound cost budget. You initiate and organize actions in your role as cost engineer and you can get the parties involved on the move. In short, you play a key role in the teamwork leading to the successful completion of the tender phase. Of course, you also play an advisory role for the project team in terms of the various scenarios and the associated costing. You are also able to identify a range of interests (internal and external) and to communicate about them at different levels. During risk sessions, you will provide input about cost-related risk scenarios. On the basis of your technical expertise and experience, you can already visualize a project at the tender stage. On occasion, you will visit the client on location during the tender phase and there are also opportunities to visit the project during the operations.
Your work as a cost engineer is very varied but your main duties/areas of activity will include:•drafting, on the basis of various scenarios, a cost estimate or budget on the basis of the specifications or call-for-tender documents supplied by the client;
- providing the tender documents and managing the estimate or budget file and the estimate database;
- helping with the preparation and submission of the tender to the client;
- supporting the project team during the planning, the production of a draft schedule and work budgets using budget programs;
- obtaining and appraising prices from subcontractors and suppliers;
- retrospective costing during and after the execution of the project;
- mapping out and recording risks, both during the tender phase and project follow-up;
- collecting, analyzing and managing multi-disciplinary information and, where necessary, submitting proposals for changes in standards and calculation methods.
You are a cost engineer who works best in a complex and dynamic working environment. You enjoy variety and you have no difficulty in switching quickly between different departments. You are a self-starter who can retrieve all the required information quickly and get the right people involved in the process. In short, your helicopter view will be useful to you in your role as cost engineer. You will always be working in a team so it is important for you to be able to coordinate seamlessly with a range of departments and colleagues. You have a strong customer focus but you never lose sight of the interests of the organization.
On the basis of your expertise and experience, you have the ability to coach and supervise colleagues. In addition, you have:
- completed further or higher education in a technical subject such as civil engineering, geo-engineering, engineering geology or mining;
- at least 5 years of relevant employment history in an engineering position
- a proven understanding of contract management and financial-economic business processes;
- a detailed familiarity with Excel, as well as experience with database structures and how they work
- sound language skills in both written and spoken Dutch and English.
- Completion of cost engineer training, such as DACE or AACE, will be an advantage.
For more information about the position or the application procedure, please feel free to get in touch with Iris van Laar 0031 78 6968612
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies. In general we don’t appreciate acquisition and this also applies to Boskalis colleagues or associated Boskalis companies.