How you can make your mark
Do you want to make your mark in salvage operations and wreck removal projects? Do you have a shipbuilding background and have gained experience as a designer, engineer, constructor in recent years? Do you have a flexible, practical attitude and you like to work internationally? Then we would like to discuss the position of naval architect at SMIT Salvage.
As a Naval Architect at SMIT Salvage you fulfill a pivotal role between the office and the projects and the world is your working area. You never know where and when a ship will be in distress and that gives your work as a Naval Architect extra dynamism. This sounds cliché, yet it is reality. Just as well that you have an adventurous profession as a naval architect. When a ship is in distress, you go with a team consisting of, among other things, a Salvage Master, Salvage Superintendent to the place of disaster. Everything is important to salvage the ship as quickly and well as possible and your expertise is of great importance.
As a Naval Architect you provide preparatory and executive shipbuilding support in the realization of both salvage operations and wreck removal projects, such as the wreck removal of the Baltic Ace. Depending on the job, you work from our office in Singapore or at a location somewhere in the world. In order to properly fulfill the role of Naval Architect, it is important that you have a hands-on attitude. Based on the salvage plan that is initiated on location, you perform technical calculations with regard to the feasibility and realization of a ship's salvage. You also devise and design (technical) solutions for specific project-related problems, such as repairing damage, towing connections, lifting and pulling plans.
Your responsibilities as a Naval Architect
- Supervising and assessing the construction work of subcontractors.
- Developing and improving calculation methods for salvage and wreck removal projects.
- Contribute to the further development of new salvage equipment or the improvement of existing salvage equipment.
You can make your mark as Naval Architect if you have:
- A minimum Degree in Naval Architect or its equivalent discipline.
- Demonstrable experience in shipbuilding / constructional field.
- Experience with various software programs, such as GHS, AutoCAD, Rhino and Hecsalv.
- Willingness to work on weekends and public holidays frequently, with OT and allowances compensated.
- You preferably live in Singapore and / or are allowed and able to work from Singapore.
SMIT Salvage's track record is extensive and has many leading insurers are customers. SMIT Salvage has specialized equipment and expert personnel and is able to respond to incidents worldwide 24/7. This is done from four locations strategically located to the major international shipping routes: Rotterdam, Houston, Cape Town and Singapore. The offices provide a 24-hour link to customers, ships, Boskalis Group offices and agents around the world. The system guarantees an immediate response and fast service. In addition, SMIT Salvage can rely on an extensive worldwide network of cooperation agreements with partners and suppliers.
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, an increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture, you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together!
What you can expect
- Career opportunities: We challenge you every day to get better. Together we realize your full personal and professional career by creating development opportunities.
- Warm welcome: We warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel at home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs of Smit Salvage!
- Your team: As a naval architect you will work for SMIT Salvage Singapore. You will work for one of the largest salvage companies in the world. You are part of a team of 4 Naval Architects. You will also work with various other colleagues who are part of the Salvage team.
- Where you will work: You will work at our office in Singapore and at project locations worldwide.
- Full-time: Naval Architect's position is full-time (40 hours per week).
- Procedure: You can easily apply by filling in the online application form and uploading your CV and cover letter. You will always receive an immediate confirmation of receipt by e-mail. It is not possible to apply by email, the contact form or by post. Depending on the position, we invite you for two or more job interviews. If you have successfully completed all steps, you will receive an offer from us and we would like to welcome you to Smit Salvage Singapore!
Want to know more?
Interested? Apply by filling in your details and uploading your CV and cover letter on our careers site.
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies. In general we don’t appreciate acquisition and this also applies to Boskalis colleagues or associated Boskalis companies.