How you can make your mark
Do you have a shipbuilding background and have gained experience as a designer, engineer, constructor in recent years? Are you ready for a new step in your career and looking for an adventurous position with impact? Do you find SMIT Salvage salvage operations and wreck removal projects extremely interesting? Do you have a flexible, practical attitude and do you like to work internationally? Then we would like to discuss the position of naval architect at SMIT Salvage.
As a Naval Architect at SMIT Salvage you fulfill a pivotal role between the office and the projects and the world is your working area. You never know where and when a ship will be in distress and that gives your work as a Naval Architect extra dynamism. This sounds cliché, yet it is reality. Just as well that you have an adventurous profession as a naval architect. When a ship is in distress, you go with a team consisting of, among other things, a Salvage Master, Salvage Superintendent to the place of disaster. Everything is important to salvage the ship as quickly and well as possible and your expertise is of great importance. As a Naval Architect you provide preparatory and executive shipbuilding support in the realization of both salvage operations and wreck removal projects, such as the wreck removal of the Baltic Ace. Depending on the job, you work from our office in Papendrecht or at a location somewhere in the world. In order to properly fulfill the role of Naval Architect, it is important that you have a hands-on attitude. Based on the salvage plan that is initiated on location, you perform technical calculations with regard to the feasibility and realization of a ship's salvage. You also devise and design (technical) solutions for specific project-related problems, such as repairing damage, towing connections, lifting and pulling plans.
From your expertise you are also responsible for the following tasks:
- Supervising and assessing the construction work of subcontractors.
- Developing and improving calculation methods for salvage and wreck removal projects.
- Contribute to the further development of new salvage equipment or the improvement of existing salvage equipment.
As you would expect from a leading international maritime service provider, you work with us with state-of-the-art equipment. You are responsible for planning your own work, so that the desired results, such as calculations and / or a design, are available in time. You report to the Operations Manager.
To be successful in the role of Naval Architect at SMIT Salvage, a flexible attitude is required; after all, you never know where and when a job will play. Working together in changing teams is no problem for you and you have an excellent command of the English language. You know how to approach and of course you have no problem with irregular working hours and you do not find it a problem to work abroad for a longer period of time. You also have:
- A shipbuilding HBO training successfully completed.
- Demonstrable experience in shipbuilding / constructional field.
- Experience with various software programs, such as GHS, AutoCAD, Rhino and Hecsalv.
- A practical attitude.
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, an increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture, you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together!
SMIT Salvage's track record is extensive and many leading insurers are customers. SMIT Salvage has specialized equipment and expert personnel and is able to respond to incidents worldwide 24/7. This is done from four locations strategically located to the major international shipping routes: Rotterdam, Houston, Cape Town and Singapore. The offices provide a 24-hour link to customers, ships, Boskalis Group offices and agents around the world. The system guarantees an immediate response and fast service. In addition, SMIT Salvage can rely on an extensive worldwide network of cooperation agreements with partners and suppliers.
What you can expect
- Money and more: Besides a competitive salary, you will receive holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of at least 25 days (based on a full-time contract), a non-contributory pension scheme, collective schemes such as collective health insurance and travel allowance.
- Career opportunities: We challenge you every day to get better. Together we realize your full personal and professional career by creating development opportunities.
- The Boskalis campus: Boskalis is located in Papendrecht, where all our disciplines come together on-campus. Bicycles are available on site to make it easy for you to move between buildings. There’s also an electric bus for those times the weather turns wet! Two lunch canteens, a sports field and shower facilities can also be found on our campus.
- Young Boskalis: This is a platform created for and by the Young Boskalis generation. The Young Boskalis Board’s focus is to represent young employees and look after their integration into the Boskalis family across the various divisions. Every year Young Boskalis organizes various activities, such as a visit to a project or vessel in the Netherlands, but also a Friday Drink on the first day after payday.
- Besides work: There’s never a dull moment at Boskalis! During and after working hours, there’s always a lot going on. There are sporting activities like hockey, cycling or running and for the less physical types, there are the Body of Knowledge meetings where you can share and learn about a variety of topics.
- Warm welcome: We warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel at home as soon as possible. During your onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs of Boskalis!
- Your team: As a naval architect you will work for SMIT Salvage. You will work for one of the largest salvage companies in the world. You are part of a team of 4 Naval Architects. You will also work with various other colleagues who are part of the Salvage team.
- Where you will work: You will work at our head office in Papendrecht and at project locations worldwide.
- Full-time: Naval Architect's position is full-time (40 hours per week).
- Procedure: You can easily apply by filling in the online application form and uploading your CV and cover letter. You will always receive an immediate confirmation of receipt by e-mail. It is not possible to apply by email, the contact form or by post. Depending on the position, we invite you for two or more job interviews. If you have successfully completed all steps, you will receive an offer from us and we would like to welcome you to Boskalis!
Want to know more?
We are happy to answer all your questions about the position of Naval Architect. Please contact Robert Smits, Recruiter on +31 (0) 78 696 83 98.
Interested? Apply before April 15 by filling in your details and uploading your CV and cover letter on our careers site.
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies. In general we don’t appreciate acquisition and this also applies to Boskalis colleagues or associated Boskalis companies.