- Offshore Energy
How you can make your mark
Accurate understanding of the Wind Turbine Generator (WTG) load levels is essential for development of the foundation design. During the detailed design stage time domain load simulations are performed by the WTG supplier on an integrated WTG foundation structure which results in the most accurate project specific loads for foundation design. During the tender phase only generic WTG loads are often available. These loads are insufficient to accurately capture the dynamics of the structure and come to reliable foundation design. To overcome this, a general turbine model (GTM) is used for in-house WTG load simulations to better predict project specific loading.
Boskalis Offshore Heavy Lifting (OHL) is active in the renewables market with a strong focus on EPCI and T&I contracting for Offshore WTG foundations. With the heavy lift vessels Bokalift 1 and Bokalift 2, OHL is well positioned in the market for installation of XXL monopiles and piled Jacket foundations. A great example is the Changfang and Xidao offshore wind farm in Taiwan which is currently in project preparation.
As an intern at the Design Engineering department, you will be part of the team which is responsible for developing foundation designs for XXL monopiles and piled Jackets. You could (1), for GTM development purposes, investigate the current available turbines in the market to accurately tune the GTM for the various load cases. Or, you could (2) investigate the possibility of setting up a model to predict loading for future (bigger) turbines. Whatever assignment you prefer, your work will contribute to continuous improvement of our foundation design estimates, allowing Boskalis OHL to be competitive.
Your responsibilities as an intern, working on WTG load simulation Thesis:
• Take ownership of the problem and process to make your thesis a success.
• Familiarize yourself with the current GTM model.
• Thesis option: Develop model to accurately predict the loading of the future WTGs (15-20 MW).
• Thesis option: Investigate limitations of current model / improve settings / expand nonstandard load cases.
• Pitch your own thesis proposal. We are very much open to discuss your own proposal.
You can make your mark as an Offshore Wind Foundation Design intern if you are/have:
- A MSc student with a specialization in Offshore Wind/WTG design (eg. MSc Aerospace Engineering – Aerodynamics & Wind Energy track; MSc European Wind Energy (EWEM) – Rotor Design track; or equivalent).
- Enrolled for an Academic University Program within the Netherlands, throughout the duration of your internship.
- Available per January for a period of up to 9 months.
- Familiar with OpenFAST and proficient in Python/Matlab programming.
- A professional attitude, as well as an entrepreneurial and team player spirit.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken.
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together.
What you can expect
- Money and more: Besides internship compensation you will get a great deal of responsibility.
- Warm welcome: We warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel at home as soon as possible. During your (online) onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about Boskalis!
- Career opportunities: Because we work in a dynamic environment we challenge you every day to get better. Together we will realize your full personal and professional career by creating development opportunities.
- Young Boskalis: This is a platform created for and by the Young Boskalis generation. The Young Boskalis Board focus is to represent young employees and look after their integration into the Boskalis family across the various divisions. Every year Young Boskalis organizes various activities, ranging from an online Pub Quiz and a virtual vessel visit, to sport sessions like Yoga and Bootcamp.
- Your team: You will join the Design Engineering team within the Offshore Heavy Lifting business unit, part of the Boskalis Offshore Energy division. The team consist of 7 professionals with various backgrounds in structural and geotechnical engineering. You will be closely working with the Structural Engineers. Furthermore, English is the main language as some of the team members have roots outside the Netherlands.
- Where you will work: You will carry out your assignment working from home, collaborating via Microsoft Teams and Skype. Eventually, depending on the circumstances, you might be able to work from the head office in Papendrecht.
- Fulltime/part time job: The function of Offshore Wind Foundation Design intern is fulltime (40 hours a week).
- Procedure: Application is easy. All you need to do to apply for a job is complete the online application form and send it to us along with your CV and cover letter. As soon as you have sent your application you will receive an email to confirm receipt. If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your junk folder. It is not possible to apply via email, the contact form or regular mail. Depending on the job we will invite you for one or more online interviews. After successfully completing all the steps in the procedure we warmly welcome you to our organization. Now the real work can begin!
Want to know more?
We are more than happy to answer your questions about the position of Offshore Wind Foundation Design intern within the Boskalis OHL Design Engineering team. Please, get in touch with the responsible recruiter.
Interested? Please apply by filling in your details and by uploading your cover letter and CV on our careers site, before the 7th of December.
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies. In general we don’t appreciate acquisition and this also applies to Boskalis colleagues or associated Boskalis companies.