- Fleet management
In the role of Technical Superintendent you will be part of the Fleet Management organization. Fleet Management includes a separate section that is responsible for performing repairs and modifications. Known as the maintenance cell, this department provides technical support within and to the Dredging & Inland Infra division. The job is based in Papendrecht but you will also be required to make regular trips abroad.
Our fleet consisting of around 900 vessels and pieces of machinery constitutes Boskalis’ real capital. As Technical Superintendent you will play an important role with regard to repairs and modifications to our Dredging & Inland Infra fleet, which includes trailing suction hopper dredgers, cutter suction dredgers, backhoes and various working vessels. As a maritime service provider of global standing Boskalis aspires to constant innovation so that it can provide clients with the most efficient and sustainable technical solution; as a Technical Superintendent you will contribute significantly to this. Specifically this means you will be involved in the decision-making process around repairs and modifications, as well as in the execution, coordination and financial settlement with shipyards and subcontractors. Almost all the projects you will be working on will have a high level of technical complexity and require high-end technical solutions. You will use your knowledge to involve your fellow (junior) Technical Superintendents in the decision-making and give them on-the-job coaching.
In the event of technical failures and complex repairs you are the person who will liaise with the crew as well as third parties such as subcontractors and shipyards, whereby it is important that you speak the language of the various parties and get the people with the right knowledge round the same table. Only then will you as Technical Superintendent be able to ensure that repairs and modifications are carried out in a technically correct way, as well as within the set budget and according to schedule. Your role will also involve a lot of indirect liaison with internal stakeholders, explaining how our vessels – once repaired – meet the applicable technical requirements.
Your main activities in the role of Technical Superintendent will include:
- Gathering relevant information concerning repair and modification projects and drawing up a plan of action based on this.
- Heading up a team (comprising for example subcontractors, crew and Technical Superintendents).
- Solving project-specific technical problems.
- Ensuring the technical performance of the equipment as well as efficient planning of equipment for deployment in order to keep costs under control and drawing up a plan of action for this.
- Implementing and monitoring the NINA (No Injuries No Accidents) safety program.
You are the Technical Superintendent we are looking for if you can bring the following to the job:
- A higher vocational education (HBO) degree in mechanical engineering, naval architecture or similar qualification.
- At least five years’ experience as a technical superintendent, inspector, project leader or similar.
- Technical and operational project knowledge.
- Team management experience.
- A good command of English.
- Clear views on safety and the ability to implement our NINA safety program.
- These attributes: communicative, proactive, result-focused and cost-aware, a sense of mutual relationships, an ability to connect people, flexible, team-focused.
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies. In general we don’t appreciate acquisition and this also applies to Boskalis colleagues or associated Boskalis companies.