- Offshore Energy
How you can make your mark
Boskalis Subsea Cables is specialized in subsea power cable installation, Balance of Plant maintenance for the renewables market, umbilical/flowline installation and installation of interconnectors. In the coming years, Offshore Wind Farms will not only increase in size, but they will also be located further away from the shores than today. This will increase the required length of the transmission cables, which run from the wind farms to land. Additional systems are then required to extend economic range of high voltage alternating current (HVAC) technology.
This can be done by making use of reactive power compensators, thereby decreasing the transmission losses. Construction costs will be reduced if it would be possible to position the reactive compensation unit on the seabed, e.g. around the cable. For this application the electrical requirements for a subsea RCU have been identified.
And here you can make your mark! Applying your knowledge of high voltage transmission, you will design a subsea reactive power compensator that can be used in future offshore wind projects. You will gain experience in an international environment and kick-start your career at Boskalis.
Your responsibilities as an Electrical Engineering Graduate:
Contribute to the cost competitiveness of the offshore wind industry by conceptually designing a subsea reactive power compensator.
Design a subsea reactive power compensator; taking into account:
- Cost effective design
- Subsea, corrosive and moving environment
- Concept requires to be suitable for loading, transport and subsea installation (100m WD)
- Zero maintenance philosophy
Assessment of economic feasibility in comparison with HVDC technology, by taking into account:
- Modelling transmission losses in the system
- Describing system components
You can make your mark as an Electrical Engineering MSc student if you are/have:
- An Academic University MSc student in Electrical Engineering.
- Enrolled in a University within The Netherlands throughout the duration of the graduate internship.
- Available for a thesis assignment per Oct/Nov 2020 for a period of up to 9 months.
- The ability to combine theoretical knowledge with practical considerations.
- A professional attitude, as well as an entrepreneurial and team player spirit.
- Affinity with Offshore Energy activities.
- A good command of written and spoken English.
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons and sustainable solutions. In a world where population growth, increase of global trade, demand for (new) energy and climate change are driving forces, we challenge you to make your mark in finding innovative and relevant solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects.
Within a vibrant company culture you will be working as part of a diverse, international team of experts. We offer you the opportunity to realize your full personal potential and expand your professional career by creating new horizons. Together.
What you can expect
- Money and more: Besides internship compensation you will get a great deal of responsibility.
- Warm welcome: We warmly welcome our new colleagues, so they feel at home as soon as possible. During your (online) onboarding program, we give you all the ins and outs about Boskalis!
- Career opportunities: Because we work in a dynamic environment we challenge you every day to get better. Together we will realize your full personal and professional career by creating development opportunities.
- Young Boskalis: This is a platform created for and by the Young Boskalis generation. The Young Boskalis Board focus is to represent young employees and look after their integration into the Boskalis family across the various divisions. Every year Young Boskalis organizes various activities, most recently an online Bingo, PubQuiz and a virtual vessel visit.
- Besides work: There’s never a dull moment at Boskalis! During and after working hours, there’s always a lot going on. Most activities are initiated voluntarily by our colleagues, and they are very diverse. There are sporting activities like hockey, cycling or running (for a charity), and the sailing regatta (Baggerzeilweekend) organized by several large dredging companies. And for the less physical types, there are the Body of Knowledge meetings where you can share and learn about a variety of topics. Perhaps you’d even like to launch an activity yourself?
- Your team: You will become part of the Innovation Team within the Subsea Cables department. This is a team of 8 people all working on a wide range of innovations. For your project you will also be working closely with our Electrical Experts, that provide advice to our tender and operational departments.
- Where you will work: You will carry out your thesis assignment working from home, collaborating via Microsoft Teams and Skype. Eventually, depending on the circumstances, you might be able to work from the head office in Papendrecht.
- Fulltime/ part time job: The function of function is a fulltime (40 hours a week) hours a week.
- Procedure: Application is easy. All you need to do to apply for a job is complete the online application form and send it to us along with your CV and cover letter. As soon as you have sent your application you will receive an email to confirm receipt. If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your junk folder. It is not possible to apply via email, the contact form or regular mail. Depending on the job we will invite you for two or more interviews. After successfully completing all the steps in the procedure we warmly welcome you to our organization. Now the real work can begin!
Want to know more?
We are more than happy to answer your questions about the function of Electrical Engineering MSc student within the Innovation Team. Please contact Yvette van Leijsen, Campus Recruiter via +31 786968570.
Interested? Please apply by filling in your details and by uploading your cover letter and CV on our careers site before the 28th of September 2020.
We don’t accept any unsolicited applications or CVs from recruitment and selection agencies. In general we don’t appreciate acquisition and this also applies to Boskalis colleagues or associated Boskalis companies.